Following a tradition started by France and Great Britain, the new United States begins making large silver and bronze medals to present as signs of peace to American Indian chiefs and warriors.
Lewis and Clark use these medals in their travels across the nation with the Corps of Discovery.
The medals are produced at the Mint in Philadelphia, under the orders of the Secretary of War.
Initially called "Indian Peace Medals," today they are produced as the "Presidential Medal Series."
The Treasury Department Building is damaged by fire.
John Adams joins the bucket brigade.
Congressional legislation directs the Mint to remain in Philadelphia until March 1803.
(Note: Mint Officials were not in favor of relocating the facility to the newly established Federal City in Washington, and addressed their concerns many times.
Legislation extending the Mint's stay in Philadelphia appears throughout the early 1800's.
Most extensions were for five years.
At some point Congress seems to have tired of these extensions.
The Act of May 19, 1828, leaves the facility in Philadelphia "until otherwise provided by law.")
The Philadelphia Mint closes in the summer and autumn due to yellow fever outbreaks.
President Jefferson appoints Robert Patterson, LL.D., of Pennsylvania, 4th Director of the Mint.
He serves the 2nd second longest term: 18 ½ years.
Extends the authority of the Mint to remain at Philadelphia for a "...further term of five years..."
The Treasury Department is burned by the British.
President Monroe appoints Samuel Moore, M.D., of Pennsylvania, 5th Director of the Mint.
He serves the 4th longest term: 11 years.
Thomas Jefferson and John Adams both die on this date (Jefferson dies first), 50 years from the day they both signed the Declaration of Independence.
Congressional legislation "...continues the Mint at Philadelphia until otherwise provided by law..."
Cornerstone is laid for a new Mint building at the corner of Juniper and Chestnut Streets in Philadelphia.
New building is finally occupied in 1833.
Treasury Building is burned to the ground by arsonists.
Congress demands a fire-proof building.
Result is current Treasury Building of Greek design built by architects Robert Mills, Ammi Young, and Alfred B.
Mullett between 1836 and 1869.
Congressional legislation establishes branch Mints at New Orleans, Louisiana; Charlotte, North Carolina; and Dahlonega, Georgia.
Their mint marks are: New Orleans ("O"), Charlotte ("C"), and Dahlonega ("D").
They are placed "under the control and regulation" of the Director of the Mint, with the approval of the Secretary of the Treasury.
This is the first time Congress gives the Treasury Department supervisory authority over the Mint.
President Jackson appoints Robert Maskell Patterson, M.D., of Pennsylvania, 6th Director of the Mint.
He is the son of the 4th Mint Director, Robert Patterson, M.D., and serves the 3rd longest term.
The first steam press is put in place, increasing the speed of coin production.
Congressional legislation revises some Mint functions and the regulation of coins.
Specifies Mint officer: "a Director, a treasurer, an assayer, a melter and a refiner, a chief coiner and an engraver, ...appointed by the President of the United States, by and with the advice and consent of the Senate." The Director reports to the President of the United States on an annual basis, and to the Secretary of the Treasury from time to time.
(This is the first piece of major legislation for the Mint since its creation in 1792.)
Congressional legislation "...Prescribes the manner in which oaths may be taken by officers of the branch mint."
Congressional legislation authorizes the coinage of gold dollars and double eagles.
Over 40 women are hired at the Philadelphia Mint by Mint Director Robert Maskell
President Fillmore appoints George N.
Eckfeldt, M.D., of Pennsylvania, 7th Director of the Mint.
Congressional legislation establishes a branch mint in California.
The Treasury secretary is authorized to choose the location.
Act of Congress establishes an Assay Office in New York City.
Mint locates office on Wall Street.
President Pierce appoints Thomas M.
Pettit of Pennsylvania 8th Director of the Mint.
He serves the shortest term: 2 months.
President Pierce appoints Hon.
James Ross Snowden, LL.D., of Pennsylvania, 9th Director of the Mint.
Birdsall becomes first Superintendent of the United States branch mint in San Francisco.
Legal Tender properties of foreign coins in the United States are withdrawn.
Treasury Department increases control over the Mint; the Director is now required to submit some of his regulations to the Secretary of the Treasury for review and approval.
Clark, Gruber & Co., John Parsons & Co., and John Conway & Co., who manufacture $5 and $10 gold pieces, are the major companies producing territorial "coinage" in the Denver area.
Confederate forces seize the branch mints at Charlotte, North Carolina; Dahlonega, Georgia; and New Orleans, Louisiana.
Coining operations continue for about a month.
President Lincoln appoints James Pollock, A.M., LL.D., of Pennsylvania, 10th Director
of the Mint, and that facility's First Superintendent.
He serves during the Civil War.
Confederate troops occupy the Charlotte Mint and use it for their headquarters during the Civil War.
The Confederate Government closes the branch mints at New Orleans, Louisiana; Charlotte, North Carolina; and Dahlonega, Georgia.
Congressional legislation establishes a branch mint at Denver "exclusively for the coinage of gold", the sum of $75,000 is appropriated to meet the expenses for fiscal year 1863.
Congressional committee makes a formal offer of $25,000 for the Clark, Gruber & Co.
plant, through the Treasury Secretary.
The offer is accepted.
Congressional legislation establishes a branch mint at Carson City, Nevada.
The mint mark is: "CC".
Title to the property for a Denver branch mint is obtained.
The Denver Branch Mint opens.
Operations are confined to the melting, refining, assaying, and stamping of bullion, and the return of the same to depositors in "unparted bars, stamped with the weight and fineness."
Congress authorizes coinage of the two-cent piece.
The Director of the Mint, with the approval of the Secretary of the Treasury, places the motto In God We Trust
on the bronze 2-cent piece.
This is the first time the motto appeared on a coin.
Congress appropriates $300,000 to purchase a site and construct buildings for the Branch Mint at San Francisco.
Congressional legislation establishes a branch mint at Dalles City, Oregon.
Mint is short-lived; Congress donates building to state for educational purposes in March 1875.
Congressional legislation authorizes coinage of the three-cent coin.
The motto In God We Trust
appears on gold and silver coins, with the exception of the dime, which is too small.
Congressional legislation states that only a deceased person may appear in portraits on bank notes and other paper money.
(Coins are not mentioned in the legislation.)
The nickel five-cent coin is authorized by Congress, to replace the smaller silver five-cent coin.
President Andrew Johnson appoints William Millward of Pennsylvania, 11th Director of the Mint.
He serves the 3rd shortest term: 6 months.
President Johnson appoints Henry Richard Linderman, M.D., of Pennsylvania, 12th Director of the Mint.
Act of Congress establishes an Assay Office at Boise in the Territory of Idaho.
President Grant re-appoints James Pollock, A.M., L.L.D, of Pennsylvania, 13th Director of the Mint.
He is the first of three Mint Directors to serve two non-consecutive terms.
Abraham Curry becomes first Superintendent of the U.S. Mint in Carson City, Nevada.
Legislation establishes the Mint as a bureau of the Treasury Department, moving the Director's Office from Philadelphia to the Treasury Building in Washington, DC.
The Superintendent becomes the senior Mint officer at the Philadelphia Mint.
(Second major piece of legislation for the Mint since it was established in 1792.
President Grant appoints outgoing Mint Director James Pollock 1st Superintendent of the Philadelphia Mint.
President Grant re-appoints Henry Richard Linderman of Pennsylvania 14th Director of the Mint.
He is the second of three Mint Directors to serve two non-consecutive terms.
Legislation authorizes the Mint to produce coins for any foreign nation, as long as it does not interfere with coinage production required for the United States.
Fees charged for this activity must include labor, materials, and use of the equipment.
Act of Congress establishes an assay office at Helena, in the Territory of Montana.
Funds are approved to construct a building and to purchase machinery.
Completed San Francisco Mint, designed by Treasury Supervising Architect Alfred B.
Mullett, is turn over to Superintendent A.
King Kalakaua I of Hawaii visits the San Francisco Mint.
The first foreign coinage order is executed and completed for the Government of Venezuela within the fiscal year ending June 30, 1876.
Congress appropriates $500 for "fitting up an assay laboratory in the office of the Director of the Mint." Laboratory is established by 1885 on the top floor of the Treasury Building where coins were tested for 90 years.
The Bland-Allison Act authorizes the coinage of the silver dollar.
President Hayes appoints Col.
Loudon Snowden, nephew of former Mint Director James Ross Snowden, 2nd Superintendent of the Philadelphia Mint.
President Hayes appoints Horatio C.
Burchard of Illinois 15th Director of the Mint.
Act of Congress establishes an assay Office at St.
President Cleveland appoints James P.
Kimball of Pennsylvania 16th Director of the Mint.
He is the first metallurgist to be named Director of the Mint.
Bonzano, melter and refiner at the New Orleans Mint, in 1861, submits a letter to Mint Director James Kimball telling him that no Confederate coins were produced at the New Orleans Mint and the United States dies of 1860 and 1861 were defaced in front of him and other mint officers.
President Harrison appoints Edward O.
Leech of Washington, DC 17th Director of the Mint.
He is the first of only two appointees from the Nation's Capital.
The Sherman Silver Purchase Act is approved.
The Act of September 26, 1890, amends Revised Statute 3510, by authorizing a procedure for new coin designs generally known today as "the 25-year law".
A portion of the legislation states that "no change in the design or die of any coin shall be made oftener that once in twenty-five years from and including the year of the first adoption of the design, model, die, or hub for the same coin." Another legislative Act, approved the same day, discontinues the three-dollar gold, one-dollar gold, and three-cent nickel coins.
Public Law No.
203, 52nd Congress, authorizes first commemorative coin produced by the Mint, a 50-cent piece, known as the Columbia half dollar, for the World Columbian Exposition.
President Grover Cleveland appoints Robert E.
Preston of Washington, DC as 18th Director of the Mint.
Second of only two appointees from the Nation's Capital.
The Denver Mint is authorized by Congressional legislation to coin gold and silver.
Congressional legislation provides for "a mint building at Denver" at a cost of $100,000.
A site for the Denver Mint is purchased at a cost of $60,261.71.
A site for the Denver Mint is purchased at a cost of $60,261.71.
Act of Congress establishes an assay office at Deadwood, South Dakota.
Leach begins a ten-year career (1897-1907) as Superintendent of the U.S. Mint in San Francisco.
He is Superintendent at the time of the April 1906 earthquake.
President McKinley appoints (and Theodore Roosevelt re-appoints in 1903) George E.
Roberts of Iowa 19th Director of the Mint.
He serves the 8th longest term: 9 years and 5 months.
Act of Congress establishes an assay office at Seattle, Washington.
Public Law No.
188, 55th Congress, authorizes the coinage of silver dollars, to commemorate the erection of a monument to General Lafayette, in the city of Paris, France.
(It is the first time George Washington appears on a U.S. coin, and the first commemorative coin produced as a dollar denomination.)