Using Guess, Check and Revise
Main Subject Area: Mathematics
Duration of Lesson: 45 minutes
Additional Subject Area Standard(s):
Students will use the guess and check method to solve their problem.
Students will test their answer using this method with real coins.
Coins Used in Lesson:
Grade Level(s): 3-5
2. First, solve this problem together as a class: How many different combinations of the coins (nickels, dimes and quarters) can make 50 cents? You must use at least one of each coin.
3. Have students make a guess and write several guesses on the board.
4. Write out the specifics of the problem:
Need to make 50 cents
Can only use nickels, dimes and quarters
Must use at least one of each coin
5. Work with your students to develop a chart with the possible solutions. There will only be two solutions for this problem (1 quarter 2 dimes and a nickel; 1 quarter, 1 dime and 3 nickels). Students can then revise their answer based on the chart.
6. Now give students a problem to solve on their own. They can use the same method you did as a class. They can record the steps in their math journal. Here is a sample problem:
How many different combinations of the coins (nickels, dimes and quarters) can make $2.25? You must use 17 coins.
Assessment / Evaluation:
Differentiated Learning Options: