The Fort McHenry National Monument and Historic Shrine quarter is 19th in the America the Beautiful Quarters® Program. Fort McHenry was first established as a national site on March 3, 1925.
After British forces burned buildings in Washington, D.C., they moved on to attack Baltimore. Francis Scott Key, a poet-lawyer on a truce ship near the fort, saw the fort being bombarded all night long. The next morning, when he saw that his country's flag was still flying over the fort, he was moved to pen the words to "The Star-Spangled Banner."
Fort McHenry was named for James McHenry, our Nation's second Secretary of War. The coin's design represents the fort during its famous annual "Defenders Day" celebration. The fireworks symbolize "the rocket's red glare," linking the fort to its historic past and to our national anthem.