Mountains of Traits
Grades 2 and 3
Social Studies, Language Arts, Art
Lesson Plan Summary
Starting with the Mount Rushmore National Memorial quarter, students will demonstrate an understanding of research. Students will write and illustrate narrative stories.
Open lesson plan PDF to view or save
The file below contains the lesson plan and all the associated worksheets. When you click on the link, the PDF will open if you have the free Acrobat Reader plug-in installed. Depending on your browser's settings, the lesson plan will open in this tab, in a new tab, or in a new window.
You can then click "File" in the top menu and "Save As" to save the PDF to your hard drive or click "File" and then "Print" to print all the pages on your printer.
National Standards associated with this lesson plan
- Students apply a wide range of strategies to comprehend, interpret, evaluate, and appreciate texts. They draw on their prior experience, their interactions with other readers and writers, their knowledge of word meaning and of other texts, their word identification strategies, and their understanding of textual features (e.g., sound-letter correspondence, sentence structure, context, graphics).
- Students employ a wide range of strategies as they write and use different writing process elements appropriately to communicate with different audiences for a variety of purposes.
- Students conduct research on issues and interests by generating ideas and questions, and by posing problems. They gather, evaluate, and synthesize data from a variety of sources (e.g., print and nonprint texts, artifacts, people) to communicate their discoveries in ways that suit their purpose and audience.
- Students use a variety of technological and informational resources (e.g., libraries, databases, computer networks, video) to gather and synthesize information and to create and communicate knowledge.
- Time, Continuity, and Change
- People, Places and Environment
- Individual Development and Identity
- Civic Ideals and Practices
National Memorial Quarter