Influenced by History
Grades 4 through 6
Social Studies, Language Arts, Math
Lesson Plan Summary
Starting with the Great Basin National Park quarter, students will learn about the environment where the Bristlecone Pine grows. Students will research and report on courageous characters in American history.
Open lesson plan PDF to view or save
The file below contains the lesson plan and all the associated worksheets. When you click on the link, the PDF will open if you have the free Acrobat Reader plug-in installed. Depending on your browser's settings, the lesson plan will open in this tab, in a new tab, or in a new window.
You can then click "File" in the top menu and "Save As" to save the PDF to your hard drive or click "File" and then "Print" to print all the pages on your printer.
National Standards associated with this lesson plan
- Time, Continuity, and Change
- Global Connections
- Civic Ideals and Practices
- Determine central ideas or themes of a text and analyze their development; summarize the key supporting details and ideas
- Analyze how two or more texts address similar themes or topics in order to build knowledge or to compare the approaches the authors take
- Write informative/explanatory texts to examine and convey complex ideas and information clearly and accurately through the effective selection, organization, and analysis of content
- Produce clear and coherent writing in which the development, organization, and style are appropriate to task, purpose, and audience
- Present information, findings, and supporting evidence such that listeners can follow the line of reasoning and the organization, development, and style are appropriate to task, purpose, and audience
- Use the four operations with whole numbers to solve problems
- Use place value understanding and properties of operations to perform multi-digit arithmetic
- Represent and interpret data