Coins in U.S. History
Main Subject Area: Social Studies
Additional Subjects: Language Arts, Technology
Duration of Lesson: 45 minutes
Additional Subject Area Standard(s):
Students will learn about events in U.S. history.
Coins Used in Lesson:
Grade Level(s): 3-5
2. Assign each student his or her own coin. They must prepare to become an expert for that coin.
3. Direct students to take notes and summarize the main points about the coin. They should include the physical characteristics as well as the history about the coin.
4. Have each student write his or her findings in a report and also include a sketch of the coin.
5. Have each student create a timeline with his or her report.
6. As a class, develop a larger timeline based on each student’s independent work. The class can determine what years need to be included in their timeline. The timeline can be based on when the coins were minted or it can be based on the time period for what is represented on the coin.
7. Direct each student to read his or her report to the class and then place their report and sketch on the timeline in the classroom.
Assessment / Evaluation:
Differentiated Learning Options:
Have each student create a list of 5 descriptive clues about their coin. Once each student has read their report to the class, play a game of “Name That Coin” to see what your students have retained.