Why is Roosevelt on the Dime?
Main Subject Area: Social Studies
Additional Subjects: Language Arts
Duration of Lesson: 45 minutes
Additional Subject Area Standard(s):
Students will conjecture why Franklin’s image is on our dime.
Students will write their own opinion about why Roosevelt’s image is on our dime.
Age appropriate books about the life of Franklin Roosevelt
Coins Used in Lesson:
Grade Level(s): 3-5
2. Discuss with the students why we put images of people on our coins. Tell students they are going to focus on just one coin today, the dime. They will research the life of Franklin Roosevelt and determine why he was picked to be on the dime.
3. Divide students into groups of four to research the life of Franklin Roosevelt. They should use the online materials listed above as well as other text based resources you have made available. Students should take notes about the important events in Franklin’s life.
4. After students share and discuss their findings with their group, they can answer the following questions:
- Why do you think Franklin Roosevelt’s image in on our dime?
- What do you most admire about Franklin Roosevelt?
- What are 3 new things you learned about Franklin Roosevelt?
Assessment / Evaluation:
Differentiated Learning Options: