During the past month, new information and activities have been added to the United States Mint H.I.P. Pocket Change™ Web site. To help you learn "What's New for You," we've listed and linked these features below.
- Presidents Day Page—How did it come to be that we will celebrate President's Day on February 19 this year? Have your students read about this special day's history and find related links on this dedicated page.
- February Coin of the Month—Join Bill the Mint Buffalo as he presents the Washington $1 coin. This brand-new coin is the very first in the Presidential $1 Coin Program!
- Time Machine—At this moment, Nero the Mint Police Dog is setting the dials on the time machine for an adventure in women's suffrage. He'll take you to the year 1917, a time during World War I when women were struggling for their right to vote. You'll find out about Susan B. Anthony and Alice Paul, two leaders in the voting rights movement. You'll also get the coin connection between Susan B. Anthony and our associated Teacher Feature.
- The Coins Are Coming—Be among the first to see the new dollars of the Presidential $1 Coin Program. All four of 200's dollars are presented here, with information about the presidents they commemorate!
- Presidential $1 Coin Program Lesson Plans—Available mid-month, these free lessons have been created to help you make the most of the new Presidential $1 coins.
- 2007 Jamestown 400th Anniversary Commemorative Coin Program—Come read about the two new commemorative coins from the United States Mint: a one-dollar silver coin and a five-dollar gold coin. These coins celebrate the 400th anniversary of the founding of Jamestown, the first successful English colony in North America. Follow the link in the article's last paragraph to the "Jamestown Challenge" quiz/game, where you use your knowledge of this foundational colony to captain three ships across the Atlantic.
- State Quarter Day in the Classroom—Learn all about the launch in late January of the Montana quarter, the 41st quarter in the 50 State Quarters Program. Examine the fun classroom activity ideas that H.I.P. Pocket Change has developed to help you celebrate the new quarter in your own classroom!
Teacher Features—While you can always find great classroom ideas in the Teachers section of H.I.P. Pocket Change, be sure to click on the Teacher Feature icon whenever you spot it on the site to find ideas that relate directly to whatever you've just read!
|Feature Name||Related Content||
|Presidential $1 Coin Lesson Plans||February Coin of the Month||
|It's Not JUST A Man's World||Time Machine, suffrage era||
|50 State Quarter Lesson Plans||January Coin of the Month||