United States Mint Announces 2012 Presidential $1 Coin Designs
WASHINGTON - The United States Mint today announced the designs that will appear on the Presidential $1 Coins in 2012. The obverse (heads sides) of the coins will bear striking portraits of former Presidents Chester Arthur, Grover Cleveland (first term), Benjamin Harrison and Grover Cleveland (second term).
Inscriptions on the obverse of each coin include the President's name, the years of his term in office, a number indicating the order in which he served, and the inscription IN GOD WE TRUST. The portraits of Chester Arthur and Grover Cleveland were designed and sculpted by United States Mint Sculptor-Engraver Don Everhart. The portrait of Benjamin Harrison was designed and sculpted by United States Mint Sculptor-Engraver Phebe Hemphill.
All coins in the Presidential $1 Coin Program bear a common reverse (tails side) featuring the iconic Statue of Liberty, designed and sculpted by Everhart. Inscriptions on the reverse are $1 and UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. The year of minting, or issuance, E PLURIBUS UNUM and the mint mark are incused on the edge of the coins.
The Presidential $1 Coin Program is authorized by Public Law 109-145. Although production of circulating Presidential $1 Coins was recently suspended, collectible versions of the coin will continue to be available in select United States Mint offerings. For information on the availability and pricing of products featuring Presidential $1 Coins, visit http://www.usmint.gov/catalog or call 1-800-USA-MINT (872-6468).
The United States Mint, created by Congress in 1792, is the Nation's sole manufacturer of legal tender coinage and is responsible for producing circulating coinage for the Nation to conduct its trade and commerce. The United States Mint also produces proof, uncirculated and commemorative coins; Congressional Gold Medals; and silver, gold and platinum bullion coins.
* High-resolution images of the 2012 Presidential $1 Coins are available at http://www.usmint.gov/pressroom/?action=Photo.
* Information about the Presidential $1 Coin Program and the Presidents honored to date is available at http://www.usmint.gov/mint_programs/$1coin/.
* For information about the United States Mint, visit http://www.usmint.gov/about_the_mint/.
* To subscribe to United States Mint electronic product notifications, visit http://www.usmint.gov/email/?action=newsletters.
* Sign up for RSS Feeds from the United States Mint and follow us on Facebook and Twitter.
# # #
United States Mint - Connecting America through Coins