The U.S. Mint produces a variety of national medals to commemorate significant historical events or sites and to honor those whose superior deeds and achievements have enriched U.S. history or the world.
Some of these are bronze duplicates of Congressional Gold Medals authorized by Congress under separate Public Laws. Others are “list medals” produced under the secretary of the Treasury’s authority to strike national medals.
The Mint offers several medals on the United States Mint online catalog.
Congress approves Congressional medals and presents them to individuals, groups, or institutions for their distinguished achievements and contributions. When legislation permits, the Mint strikes bronze duplicates for sale to the public.
Recent Congressional Gold Medal Awardees
Past Congressional Medals
- Bob Dole
- Filipino Veterans of World War II
- U.S. Army 65th Infantry Regiment
- Foot Soldiers of the 1965 Selma to Montgomery Voting Rights Marches
- Monuments Men
- American Fighter Aces
- Doolittle Tokyo Raiders
- Jack Nicklaus
- First Special Service Force
- Civil Air Patrol
- 2011 Fallen Heroes of 9/11
- Raoul Wallenberg
- Shimon Peres
- Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. and Coretta Scott King
- Code Talkers Recognition Congressional Medals Program
- 16th Street Baptist Church Bombing Victims
- Professor Muhammad Yunus
- Daw Aung San Suu Kyi
- Arnold Palmer
- Constantino Brumidi
- Montford Point Marines
- New Frontier
- Nisei Soldiers of World War II
- Women Airforce Service Pilots
- Sen. Edward William Brooke III
- Dr. Michael E. DeBakey, M.D.
- Dalai Lama
- Dr. Norman Borlaug
- Byron Nelson
- Tuskegee Airmen
The secretary of the Treasury approves list medals. They include continuing series’ such as the Presidential Medals series, and one-time medals such as the American Liberty 225th Anniversary Silver Medal.
Recent List Medals
- American Liberty Silver Medals
- American Veterans Silver Medal
- David J. Ryder Director of the Mint Bronze Medal
- End of World War II 75th Anniversary Silver Medal
- First Spouse Medals
- Jacob J. Lew Secretary of the Treasury Bronze Medal
- Mayflower 400th Anniversary Silver Medal
- Presidential Medals
- U.S. Armed Forces Silver Medals
- Women’s Suffrage Centennial Silver Medal
- World War I Centennial Silver Medals