Do you know how to make a penny float in water? Use the instructions below to see if you can figure it out!
Hint: it’s all about density.
Find classroom instructions and the solution to this experiment on the Can You Make a Penny Float? lesson plan page.
- Bowl or small pail
- Circulating U.S. cent
- Ball of clay
- Other objects that will sink or float, such as a paper clip, cork, ping-pong ball, or button
- Paper towels
- Science lab notebook
- Hold up all of the objects and predict whether the object will sink or float.
- Record your predictions for each object in your notebook.
- Drop each object into the water to see if it sinks or floats. Record your findings. Write down the qualities of objects that sink and qualities of objects that float.
- Challenge yourself to see whether you make the penny float. Use the objects you have, but nothing else.