San Francisco Old Mint Commemorative Coins
Gold: Features a replica of the 1906 Half-Eagle Coronet Liberty eagle coin design.
Silver: Depicts a replica of the 1904 Morgan Silver Dollar eagle.
Gold: Depicts an image of the Old Mint modeled on the original 1869 construction drawing by A.B. Mullett.
Silver: Shows an angled view of the Greek revival-style building.
Before the current United States Mint building in San Francisco was built in 1937, the work of the Mint was carried on in another building — one that has become known as the “Granite Lady.” Since the new building opened, the Granite Lady has also become known as the “Old Mint.” This classic building is the subject of the San Francisco Old Mint Commemorative Coin Program.
There are two coins in the program: a five-dollar coin made of gold and a silver dollar. One side of each coin looks just like a U.S. coin once made in the building. The other sides show images of the “Granite Lady” herself. Both coins, struck in San Francisco, carry the “S” mint mark.
The sale of these coins played a part in the Granite Lady’s future, too. Funds raised went to help the San Francisco Museum and Historical Society fix up the building as a museum of the city, of American coins, and of the California Gold Rush.
Although the Granite Lady first opened its doors in 1874, 2006 is the 100th anniversary of an important event in the life of this building as well as the whole city: In 1906, a strong earthquake and a series of fires just about destroyed San Francisco. But when the flames died down, the U.S. Mint building at the corner of Fifth and Mission streets stood among the ruins with little damage. The Mint went on to help sustain and rebuild the city and to continue making American coins.