Coins in your pocket, coins at the store, coins under couch cushions, there’s always more! It seems like coins are everywhere. Why in the world would anyone collect them?
There are plenty of reasons to collect coins! Here are some of them:
- Coins can be souvenirs—both of the event and of how you got the coins.
- Coins come in many designs and metals.
- The way they’re made has changed over the years.
- They’re often just plain beautiful to look at.
Whether you have a lot of money to spend on coin collecting or none at all, it’s an interesting hobby for everyone. Here are some other reasons to collect coins:
- To learn about history.
- To learn about other countries and cultures.
- To enjoy the way coins capture moments of history, time, and people’s lives.
- Because of an interest in coin design themes such as art, science, or animals.
- For the joy of learning about the coins themselves.
- To display and share with others.
- For the challenge of completing a collection.
- To enjoy belonging to a coin club or meeting fellow collectors from around the world.
- For the excitement of finding rare coins in your pockets!
Numismatics is the study and collecting of things that are used as money, including coins, tokens, paper bills, and medals. A person who collects coins is called a numismatist.