Create colorful coins with our coin rubbing and matching activity.
Grades: Pre-K and up
Materials: different types of coins, colored pencils or crayons, pencil, white paper or the Coin Rubbing and Matching worksheet (PDF)
Time: 10 to 30 minutes
- Collect different types of U.S. coins.
- Place the coin under a sheet of white paper or the printed Coin Rubbing and Matching worksheet.
- Using a colored pencil or crayon, gently rub the colored tip over the coin until the coin design appears on the paper.
- Use different colors for different coins.
- Fill the sheet with different coin rubbings.
- After the sheet is filled, place the coins next to the sheet. Match the actual coin to the correct impression.
- With the help of a friend or family member, write the name of each coin and its value (1¢, 5¢, 10¢, 25¢, and 50¢) next to each impression.
For additional fun, create a pattern using the coins (a circle, square, smiley face, flower). Place a blank sheet of paper over the coins and rub the coins to show the pattern.