Go on a scavenger hunt for coins!
Grades: Kindergarten and up
Materials: the Coin Scavenger Hunt worksheet (PDF), different types of coins around the house or on the Coin Classroom and U.S. Mint websites
Time: 30 to 60 minutes
Using coins you find around your house or on our website, see if you can find the following coins:
- A coin that features a U.S. president
- A coin that shows an animal
- A coin that shows a building
- A coin that was made the year you were born
- A coin from the U.S. state or territory where you currently live
- A coin that features a national park or historical site
- A coin that shows a flag
- A coin that has either a “D” or “P” mint mark
- A coin that shows a plant
- A coin that lists two (2) different years (example: 1776-1976)
- A coin that was made this year
- What is the oldest coin you can find?
- Which coin is the most unique? Why?
- Which design is your favorite? Why?