The United States Mint released its 2014 Biennial Report to Congress in December 2014 on the research and development (R&D) of alternative metals for the nation’s circulating coins. This report is the second released under the Coin Modernization, Oversight, and Continuity Act of 2010, Public Law 111-302, which authorizes the Secretary of the Treasury to conduct R&D on alternative metallic materials for all circulating coins, with the goal of reducing production costs. The Act also requires the Secretary to provide a biennial report to Congress on the status of coin production costs and analysis of alternative content.
The full report that has been submitted to Congress is below.
- 2014 Biennial Report to the Congress as required by The Coin Modernization, Oversight, and Continuity Act of 2010 (Public Law 111-302) December 2014 (PDF, 12 pages)
- Appendix 1: Public Law 111-302 — Coin Modernization, Oversight, and Continuity Act of 2010
- Appendix 2: Production Cost Analysis with Circulating Metal Commodity Metal Prices
- Appendix 3: Coin Industry Stakeholder Feedback Report
- Appendix 4: Alternative Metals Study Phase II Technical Report
- Appendix 5: Table 2-12. Estimated Cost Breakdown – Current and Alternative Metal
The Biennial Report to Congress on the Alternative Metals Study is currently under review to ensure Section 508 compliance. As soon as this process is completed, the document will be replaced. In the meantime, to obtain a printed copy of the report, please call (202) 354-7227.