The New Frontier Bronze Medal
This bronze medal is a duplicate of the New Frontier Congressional Gold Medal awarded to astronauts John Herschel Glenn Jr., Neil A. Armstrong, Edwin E. “Buzz” Aldrin Jr. and Michael Collins in recognition of their significant contributions to society, including:
- John Glenn helped pave the way for the first lunar landing when he became the first American to orbit the Earth on February 20, 1962.
- Neil Armstrong, as mission commander for Apollo 11, gained the distinction of being the first astronaut to land a craft on the moon and to step on its surface on July 21, 1969.
- Buzz Aldrin joined Neil Armstrong in piloting the lunar module, Eagle, and became the second person to walk on the lunar surface.
- Michael Collins piloted the command module, Columbia, in lunar orbit and helped his fellow Apollo 11 astronauts complete their mission on the moon.
The actions of all four astronauts continue to greatly inspire the people of the United States and entire world.
Coin CharacteristicsThe obverse (heads side) depicts the portraits of Apollo 11 astronauts Neil A. Armstrong, Michael Collins, and Edwin E. "Buzz" Aldrin Jr. facing left, and Friendship 7 astronaut John Herschel Glenn Jr. facing right, representing the two historic missions. The design also features a partial view of the Earth from orbit, as well as a horizon line with an astronaut walking on the lunar surface facing the flag.
The reverse (tails) features the Lunar Excursion Module orbiting the moon and the Friendship 7 mission capsule orbiting the Earth.
- JOHN GLENN
- NEIL ARMSTRONG
- MICHAEL COLLINS
- BUZZ ALDRIN
- WE CAME IN PEACE FOR ALL MANKIND