LOS ANGELES — The Unites States Mint will feature its 2009 Ultra High Relief Double Eagle Gold Coin during the American Numismatic Association’s (ANA) World’s Fair of Money at the Los Angeles Convention Center from August 5 to 9. Visitors to the agency’s booth, #948, may view an exhibit showcasing the 24–karat gold coin’s design and development. The same exhibit was on display at the United States Mint at Philadelphia from November 2008 through July 13, 2009.
As a special treat, only in Los Angeles, visitors to the exhibit will be able to directly experience the coin’s ultra high relief by touching an actual specimen while wearing special gloves. United States Mint Police will be on hand to assist visitors with handling the actual coins contained in the exhibit.
“We want collectors who didn’t get the opportunity to visit the exhibit in Philadelphia or at last year’s ANA summer convention in Baltimore to see first–hand how we achieved Saint–Gaudens’ vision,” said United States Mint Director Ed Moy. “Our exhibit showcases the technological advances we have made to create bold, new, 21st century coins and medals.”
The exhibit also includes replicas of the obverse and reverse plaster casts used to create digital maps of sculptor Augustus Saint–Gaudens’ original ultra high relief design, as well as feasibility and progression strikes and dies.
A limited number of 2009 Ultra High Relief Double Eagle Gold Coins will be available for purchase at the United States Mint’s booth. Additional products available for purchase at the booth will include the following:
- 2009 United States Mint Proof Set® and United States Mint Silver Proof Set™
- United States Mint 2009 District of Columbia and U.S. Territories Quarters Proof Set™, United States Mint 2009 District of Columbia and U.S. Territories Quarters Silver Proof Set™
- Assorted Presidential $1 Coin and First Spouse Gold Coin products
- 2009 Louis Braille Bicentennial Silver Dollar
- 2009 Lincoln Bicentennial One Cent Coin Two–Roll Set — “Formative Years”
- 2009 Native American $1 Coin Rolls (P & D) — “Three Sisters Agriculture”
- Assorted bronze medals — First Spouses, Dalai Lama, Abraham Lincoln, Navajo Code Talkers, Byron Nelson, Tuskegee Airmen, Dr. Norman Borlaug, Dr. Michael DeBakey and others
All sales are final.
The above products are also available for purchase online at www.usmint.gov/catalog or at the toll–free number, 1–800–USA–MINT (872–6468). Hearing– and speech–impaired customers with TTY equipment may order by calling 1–888–321–MINT (6468).