2022 First Amendment to the United States Constitution Platinum Proof Coin – Freedom of Speech
- Year of Issue: 2022
- Authorizing Legislation: 31 U.S.C. 5112(k)
- Shop Now
The First Amendment to the United States Constitution Platinum Proof Coin Series features newly designed one-ounce 99.95 percent platinum proof coins. This five-year series (2021-2025) will reflect the five freedoms in the First Amendment — “Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.”
This series uses the lifecycle of the oak tree from seedling to a mighty oak as a metaphor for our country’s growth as a nation that values freedom. Liberty grows to a thing of strength and beauty from a seed – our Bill of Rights. Each of the freedoms enumerated in the First Amendment contributes to the growth and development of the nation.
This series continues the reverse design introduced for the 2018-2020 Preamble to the Declaration of Independence Series. It features an eagle in flight with an olive branch in its talons.
The obverse (heads) design features a juvenile oak tree framed with the inscription “WITH FREEDOM OF SPEECH LIBERTY BLOSSOMS.”
The reverse (tails) design depicts an eagle in flight, an olive branch in its talons.
- WITH FREEDOM OF SPEECH LIBERTY BLOSSOMS
- IN GOD WE TRUST
- E PLURIBUS UNUM
- UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
- 1 OZ.
- .9995 PLATINUM
Mint and Mint Mark
- Composition: 99.95% platinum
- Weight: 1.0005 troy ounces (31.120 grams)
- Diameter: 1.287 inches (32.70 mm)
- Edge: Reeded
- Sculptor: Joseph Menna, Medallic Artist
- Designer: Donna Weaver, Artistic Infusion Program
- Sculptor: Don Everhart, Medallic Artist
- Designer: Patricia Lucas-Morris, Artistic Infusion Program