Artistic Infusion Program Artist
“This opportunity has afforded me the privilege of learning the history of the country I now call home and doing what I love in creating designs for the U.S. Mint.”
Paul C. Balan—a native of Paete, Laguna, Philippines—studied fine arts at the University of Santo Thomas in Manila. Many of his religious works, ranging from murals to stained glass, are on display at churches in the Philippines.Balan immigrated to the United States in 2001 and became a U.S. citizen in 2005. He currently lives with his family in Illinois.
Continuing to produce a wide range of works, Balan receives numerous accolades and was profiled in local publications and news programs. He exhibits his paintings and sculptures regularly, most notably his Lupang Hinirang Series, the first ever visual interpretation of the Philippine national anthem.
Balan’s recognition includes fine work honors for his PACEM design in the Japanese mint’s International Coin Design Competition in 2012. In 2013, the best design in the National Humanities Medal Design Competition out of 128 entries submitted.
The National Humanities Medal is bestowed by the President of the United States in an annual White House ceremony. The inspiration for his award-winning design was the Statue of Liberty which he portrayed as representative of the history, wisdom and generosity of the United States.
Coin Design Credits
- 2019 American Innovation $1 Coin Program – New Jersey reverse
- 2019 American Legion Commemorative Coin Program – Silver obverse
- 2019 American Legion Commemorative Coin Program – Gold reverse
- 2018 America the Beautiful Quarters® Program – Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore reverse
- 2016 American Eagle Platinum Proof Coin Program – reverse
- 2015 March of Dimes Silver Dollar Commemorative Coin – Silver obverse
- 2015 U.S. Marshals Service 225th Anniversary Commemorative Coin Program – Gold reverse
Medal Design Credits
- 2021 U.S. Armed Forces Silver Medals (Air Force) – obverse
- Code Talkers Recognition Congressional Medals Program – St. Regis Mohawk Tribe reverse
- Code Talkers Recognition Congressional Medals Program – Muscogee (Creek) Nation obverse
- Code Talkers Recognition Congressional Medals Program – Muscogee (Creek) Nation reverse
- Code Talkers Recognition Congressional Medals Program – Menominee Nation obverse
Coin & Medal Design Credits
- 2015 High Relief Gold Coin and Silver Medal – reverse