American Eagle Gold Bullion Coins
The U.S. Mint produces American Eagle Gold Bullion Coins in four weights: one ounce, half ounce, quarter ounce, and tenth ounce. The coins are 22-karat gold, plus small amounts of alloy. This creates harder coins that resist scratching and marring, which can diminish resale value. Bullion coins are coins whose weight, content and purity are guaranteed by the United States government. They can also be included in an IRA.
The obverse design of the American Eagle Gold Bullion Coins is inspired by Augustus Saint-Gaudens’ celebrated $20 gold piece, the “Double Eagle.” It was minted from 1907-1933 and is often considered one of America’s most beautiful coins. In 2021, the U.S. Mint marked the 35th anniversary of the American Eagle Coin Program with a refreshed design. The Mint used historical assets such as the original bronze cast to closer reflect Saint-Gaudens’ original vision. The refresh includes modifications to the Capitol Building, stars, torch, sun rays, and other design elements.
Since 2021, the reverse shows a portrait of an eagle. To give the new coins an added level of security, they have also been updated with enhanced security features, including a reeded edge variation.
From 1986 to 2021, the reverse, by sculptor Miley Busiek, depicted an eagle carrying an olive branch flying above a nest containing a second eagle and hatchlings.
Gold bullion coins are easy to buy and sell. Locate an authorized dealer. Prices are based on the market price of gold, plus a small premium to cover minting and distribution costs.
CharacteristicsThe obverse features a rendition of Augustus Saint-Gaudens' full length figure of Lady Liberty with flowing hair, holding a torch in her right hand and an olive branch in her left.
The reverse shows, since 2021, a portrait of an eagle.
- UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
- E PLURIBUS UNUM
- IN GOD WE TRUST
SpecificationsComposition is 91.67% gold, 3% silver, balance copper with a reeded edge. Weight and diameter differs between the one, half, quarter, and tenth ounce sizes.
- The one ounce coin, $50 face value, is 1.287 inches (32.70 mm) in diameter, contains one gold troy ounce and weighs 1.0909 troy ounces (33.931 g).
- The one-half ounce coin, $25 face value, is 1.063 inches (27.00 mm) in diameter, contains 0.5000 gold troy ounce and weighs 0.5455 troy ounce (16.966 g).
- The one-quarter ounce coin, $10 face value, is 0.866 inch (22.00 mm) in diameter, contains 0.2500 gold troy ounce and weighs 0.2727 troy ounce (8.483 g).
- The one-tenth ounce coin, $5 face value, is 0.650 inch (16.50 mm) in diameter, contains 0.1000 gold troy ounce and weighs 0.1091 troy ounce (3.393 g).
- Designer: Augustus Saint-Gaudens