John McGraw became a Medallic Artist in March 2020. He joined the U.S. Mint in January 2014 as a Product Design Specialist.
John received a bachelor of arts in Sculpture and Graphic Design from Rutgers University Camden. Prior to joining the Mint, his first job was as a sculptor for Carolfi Studios just three blocks from the Philadelphia Mint. At Carolfi Studios he worked on architectural restorations and installations for multiple clients around the world.
In 1998, John started as a sculptor for Lenox China, America’s foremost dinnerware and collectables company. He mastered traditional pottery skills and low relief sculpting techniques in clay and plaster.
John’s continued thirst for knowledge and creativity led him to pursue 3-D digital artistry. He soon became an instrumental figure in the 3-D digital design culture at Lenox China. Leveraging his traditional sculpting skills with his 3-D digital artistry, John created design concepts, dinnerware services, and figurative sculptures for many renown designers, brands, and companies, including Kate Spade, Donna Karen, Marchesa, Dansk, Walt Disney, and Warner Brothers. He also helped develop both traditional and digital dinnerware shapes for multiple U.S. presidential and vice presidential dinnerware services including President Clinton’s, President George W. Bush’s, and Vice President Cheney’s services.
The artist executed the sculpt required to produce these coins and medals.
- 2021 National Law Enforcement Memorial and Museum Commemorative Coin Program – Silver reverse
- 2021 National Law Enforcement Memorial and Museum Commemorative Coin Program – Clad obverse
- 2020 First Spouse Gold Coin and Medal Program – Barbara Bush reverse
- 2020 Presidential Medal Program – Donald J. Trump reverse
- 2019 Anwar El Sadat Congressional Gold Medal – reverse