Eric David Custer became a medallic artist for the U.S. Mint in September 2021. He joined the Mint in 2008 as a product designer on the Design and Engraving team.
As a product designer, Eric prepared and restored and restoring hundreds of sculptures for manufacturing. He also adapted and developed digital sculpture tools to improve the production of coins and medals at the Mint.
Prior to joining the Mint, Eric developed manufacturing R&D and digital sculpture for various companies. He also painted automotive murals as a hobby. He studied art at Edinboro University of PA. In 2006, he received a Bachelor of Science in industrial design from the Art Institute of Pittsburgh.
The artist executed the sculpt required to produce these coins and medals.
- 2023 American Women Quarters™ Program – Bessie Coleman reverse
- 2022 National Purple Heart Hall of Honor Commemorative Coin Program – Silver obverse
- Merrill’s Marauders Congressional Gold Medal – reverse
- 2022 Negro Leagues Baseball Commemorative Coin Program – Gold reverse
- 2022 Negro Leagues Baseball Commemorative Coin Program – Silver obverse
- 2021 American Innovation $1 Coin Program – New Hampshire reverse
- 2020 American Innovation $1 Coin Program – Massachusetts reverse
- Steve Gleason Congressional Gold Medal – reverse