“Simply put, there are no words to describe the feeling you get when holding a coin you have designed.”
Richard Masters is a Professor Emeritus at the University of Wisconsin Oshkosh where he previously served as Professor of Art for 19 years. Just prior to announcing his retirement in May 2015, he was selected for the SNC Professor of International Relations Endowed Professorship Award for the academic year, 2015-16. During his teaching tenure, he published an article for the Journal of Design and Technology, a periodical published by Design Net of Seoul, South Korea, and was the recipient of seven faculty research grants.
For the past two decades, Masters has exhibited his drawings in highly competitive venues, a record that includes five solo shows and over fifty national and international juried exhibitions. His work is often critically recognized, honors that include eight Best of Show awards.
Masters studied design and drawing at the University of Iowa, graduating with a Master of Fine Arts degree in 1990.
As an inaugural member of the Artistic Infusion Program, Masters has been assisting the United States Mint with the creation of new designs for coins and medals since 2004.
Born in Iowa, he and his wife currently live and work as independent artists in New York City.
Coin Design Credits
- 2018 America the Beautiful Quarters® Program – Apostle Islands National Lakeshore reverse
- 2017 America the Beautiful Quarters® Program – Effigy Mounds National Monument reverse
- 2016 Presidential $1 Coins – Ronald Reagan obverse
- 2015 U.S. Marshals Service 225th Anniversary Commemorative Coin Program – Silver obverse
- 2013 5-Star Generals Commemorative Coin Program – Silver obverse
- 2012 Star-Spangled Banner Commemorative Coin Program – Gold reverse
- 2011 Medal of Honor Commemorative Coin Program – Silver reverse
- 2011 United States Army Commemorative Coin Program – Silver obverse
- 2011 Native American $1 Coin Program – reverse
- 2009 District of Columbia and U.S. Territories Quarters Program – Northern Mariana Islands reverse
- 2009 Lincoln Bicentennial One Cent Coin Program (Birth and Early Childhood in Kentucky) – reverse
- 2007 Little Rock Central High School Desegregation Silver Dollar Coin – obverse
- 2006 50 State Quarters Program – Nebraska reverse
Medal Design Credits
- Presidential Medal Program – Barack Obama (Term 1) obverse
- First Special Service Force Congressional Gold Medal – reverse
- Professor Muhammad Yunus Congressional Gold Medal – reverse
- Code Talkers Recognition Congressional Medals Program – Comanche Nation obverse
- Presidential Medal Program – George W. Bush (Term 2) reverse
Coin & Medal Design Credits
- 2016 First Spouse Gold Coin and Medal Program – Patricia Ryan “Pat” Nixon obverse
- 2016 First Spouse Gold Coin and Medal Program – Patricia Ryan “Pat” Nixon reverse
- 2015 First Spouse Gold Coin and Medal Program – Mamie Eisenhower obverse
- 2014 First Spouse Gold Coin and Medal Program – Lou Hoover reverse
- 2013 First Spouse Gold Coin and Medal Program – Helen Taft reverse
- 2011 First Spouse Gold Coin and Medal Program – Julia Grant reverse