Mark Twain Commemorative $5 Gold Coin
Recipient Organization: Mark Twain House and Museum, University of California, Berkeley, Elmira College in New York, Mark Twain Boyhood Home and MuseumPrices for the coins include surcharges of $35 for each gold coin and $10 for each silver coin, which are authorized to be distributed as follows:
- One-quarter to the Mark Twain House and Museum in Hartford, Conn., to support the continued restoration of the Mark Twain house and grounds and ensure continuing growth and innovation in museum programming to research, promote and educate the public on the legacy of Mark Twain
- One-quarter to the University of California, Berkeley, for the benefit of the Mark Twain Project at the Bancroft Library to support programs to study and promote the legacy of Mark Twain
- One-quarter to Elmira College in New York for research and education purposes
- One-quarter to the Mark Twain Boyhood Home and Museum in Hannibal, Mo., to preserve historical sites related to Mark Twain and help support programs to study and promote his legacy.
Commemorative Coin SurchargesCommemorative coin programs are created by acts of Congress to honor a person, place, or event. Surcharges from the sales of these coins help fund a variety of organizations and projects that benefit the public. Commemorative coins are only available from the United States Mint for a limited time, as specified by public law.
CharacteristicsEach coin has distinctive obverse (heads side) and reverse (tails side) designs that are emblematic of the life and legacy of the author. The gold obverse design features a portrait of Mark Twain. The silver obverse design features a portrait of Mark Twain smoking a pipe with the smoke forming a silhouette of Huck Finn and Jim on a raft in the background.
The gold reverse design depicts a view of a steamboat with the paddlewheel visible.
- IN GOD WE TRUST
- UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
- E PLURIBUS UNUM
Mint and Mint Mark
SpecificationsComposition: 90 percent gold; 10 percent alloy
Diameter: 0.850 inch (± 0.003) 21.59 mm (± 0.08)
Weight: 8.359 grams
Mintage Limit: 100,000 across all gold product options
- Sculptor: Don Everhart, Sculptor-Engraver
- Designer: Benjamin Sowards, Artistic Infusion Program